Why St. Germaine?
St. Germaine, like any Catholic Grade School, offers a unique faith-based education for our children. Each student, treated as an individual, is nurtured not only in their academics but also in the teachings of Christ. Our graduates have a solid educational, moral, and social education to support them in any future endeavor. Below is a description of an independent review of St. Germaine specifically, as well as a letter from the Archbishop of Chicago about Catholic Schools in General.
Evaluation team consisted of Members from:
- Illinois State Board of Education
- St. Xavier University
- Retired Public School Administrator in Oak Lawn
- Principals from Chicago and Suburban Catholic Schools
This five member State Board of Education recognition team had these comments about their observations of St. Germaine School:
"School Facilities provide a very positive learning environment. The utilization of space is excellent and classrooms are bright and attractive. Student/staff interaction and student attitudes are very positive. Higher order thinking skills are identifiable in all classrooms. Varied instructional methods are used and students are engaged in the learning process. Instruction is related to real life, not just textbook directed. Cross curricular discussion and instruction is evident. Use of technology was observed in several classrooms. Good classroom management skills were observed throughout the building. Teacher lesson plans are appropriate and being followed...."
Letter from Francis Cardinal George, O.M.I.
My dear friends in Christ,
You are the primary educators of your children, and, as such, carry an awesome responsibility to help your children, as the Gospel suggests about Jesus, "to grow in wisdom, age and grace."
Because it is a community of faith, there is no better partner to assist you as the primary educator of your children than the Catholic elementary school community.
Our Catholic Elementary schools make a two-fold commitment to you and your children:
- to provide excellent academic training, and
- to offer first-rate religious instruction that enables your children to grow in faith and understand how it impacts all of life.
Catholic elementary schools foster the academic, religious and moral development of their students. Our schools exhibit a strong sense of community, an environment characterized by high academic standards, discipline and order, a safe and cooperative learning environment and a strongly committed and collegial faculty.
But the single most important reason for choosing Catholic elementary schools is because they are Catholic - our schools are grounded in the life and teaching of Jesus Christ, who gives us purpose here and happiness in eternity.
What does this mean for the present and the future of your children?
- Your children will be taught to see themselves and all others as distinct individuals, each blessed in unique ways.
- Your children will learn that they are part of a larger community and are challenged to play a role in that community, according to their own talents, in a way that reflects the teachings of Christ.
- Your children will be urged to make the right decisions in their lives, now and forever.
- Your children will be prepared as lifelong learners, ready to face any academic challenge they may meet.
- Your children will study how to be good citizens of this country and of the world.
I cannot encourage you enough to seek out a Catholic elementary school education for the children entrusted to your care. The investment you make will reap benefits for them and for our world for the rest of their lives. May God bless you and your family.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Francis Cardinal George, O.M.I.
Archbishop of Chicago